So I just found out that NJ is cutting off my food stamps because I’m considered able-bodied. Food stamps has literally been the only thing feeding my family right now and the only way for me to continue getting food stamps is if I go to a 20 hour a week work program. I tried to go to the program and had to make an appointment for orientation months ago and they were so mean and dismissive of me. They wanted me to miss my doctor appointment to go to their orientation and I told them I couldn’t miss it. I was sick, I needed to see a doctor. So they wouldn’t schedule me for another day and that was that.
I can get out of the requirement if I’m caring for someone in my family, which I am, my mother who has been unwell. But why is she unwell, because without warning her health insurance was terminated because she was deemed to make too much money. My mom makes $800 a month from alimony payments. That’s it! How is that too much money? Because she doesn’t have health insurance, she can’t afford her meds and hence has not been the greatest lately. The only way to prove that I’m caring for my mother is if she gets evaluated by a doctor and deemed disabled. Again, something we cannot afford. And if she never had her insurance terminated to begin with, she’d have her meds and she wouldn’t need someone to look after her. It’s a flawed system and I’m so embarrassed and sad and scared. I don’t know how to feed my family.
I’ve been trying to get a job for a year and a half now with no luck. I have a BA and two MAs. I’m clearly educated and should be capable of getting a job but no one wants to give me a chance despite my 10 years of experience. I really don’t know what to do. I really hate to ask, but I need help. I haven’t paid my credit cards off, we’re charging everything on credit and I’ve reached my credit limit. We’re not using the heat even though it’s so cold, bc we can’t afford to make the payment. I don’t have a cell phone line because we can’t afford it. How is my family going to eat? What am I supposed to do? Like we can’t even afford to pay rent this month. Literally, I have no idea what to do or how to keep us from being hungry and homeless. And I could kick myself for ending up in this situation.
I keep trying to crawl us out of this hole, but I keep failing.
This is so embarrassing, but I need help and I don’t know where to turn. I’m so embarrassed to ask and hate myself for getting to this point. If you could spare anything, even just $1, I would appreciate it so much. https://www.paypal.me/hebavsreason I swear, I’ll never forget your generosity and 100% promise to pay it forward. I’m just so scared and so unsure of how to make ends meet. I’m so embarrassed and I’m so sorry for asking. Maybe you could pass this around, reblog it. Any help would be so important and I’d be so thankful.
Job posted by: American Friends of Neve Shalom/Wahat al-Salam
Posted on: August 18, 2015
The American Friends of Neve Shalom/Wahat Al-Salam(AFNSWAS, http:www.oasisofpeace.org) is a 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to encouraging, supporting and publicizing the projects of Neve Shalom/Wahat al-Salam, (“Oasis of Peace”)–the only intentional community in Israel where Jews and Palestinians choose to live, work and raise their children in equality and mutual respect.
AFNSWAS is currently seeking an Executive Director (ED) who embraces our mission and will lead our organization’s strategic planning, fundraising, marketing, and outreach efforts. The ED leads our small staff in managing and implementing our strategic plan and is responsible for achieving the organization’s financial objectives: to raise funds, and support Neve Shalom/Wahat al-Salam in Israel (website: www.wasns.org), and educate people in the U.S. about the village and its educational programs. The position is located in Glendale, California.
· Bachelor’s degree
· Three- to five-year track record of successful organizational leadership, teamwork, budget management and fundraising, including specific examples of operationalized strategies taking an organization to the next stage of growth
· Experience attracting major gifts
· Strong marketing experience, including creation of outreach/publicity materials
· Excellent written and spoken communication skills
· Demonstrated ability to prioritize conflicting demands
· Action-oriented, innovative, and adaptable
- Work with the Board in the development, measurement and periodic updating of a strategic business plan; analyze and inform the Board of key trends, business opportunities, and risk factors; lead staff in the implementation of the plan
- Report achievements and outcomes on a regular basis, as determined by board
Financial Planning and Management
- Work with Treasurer and Operations Manager to develop and monitor a financial plan and budget consistent with the goals of the strategic plan and the Manual for Fund Development
- Develop and maintain, calendar of key organizational events and fundraising plans
- Set, meet and report quarterly on revenue goals developed in fundraising plan
- Write and submit foundation and other grant applications; develop relationships with foundation ED’s; manage foundation calendar, track solicitations, ensure reporting
- Oversee design, quality, marketing, delivery of all materials used
- Identify potential donors; develop and steward donor relationships.
- Partner with Board and staff in acquisition of community support, monetary gifts, in-kind donations and other philanthropic resources consistent with mission and goals.
- Effectively manage (including coaching and supervision) the human resources of the organization according to authorized personnel policies and procedures
- Engage and supervise fundraising and donor-related interns and volunteers; assign responsibilities and tasks as needed
- Ensure that job descriptions are developed and performance evaluations completed
- Maintain a climate which attracts, retains and motivates a diverse staff
- Interface between Board and staff and report on organization condition quarterly
Communication and Community Outreach
- Publicize the activities of the organization, its programs and goals
- Establish sound working relationships with relevant organizations
- Represent AFNSWAS and NSWAS with donors, agencies, organizations and public
- Conduct tours, marketing and publicity campaigns in accordance with the mission
How to apply
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
- 229 N. Central Ave., Suite #401, Glendale, CA, 91203, US
- Education requirements
- Employment type
- Full time
- Professional level
- None specified
- Job function
- Owner’s areas of focus