Cultural programmes intern (Arabic-speaking)
Internship posted by: Minority Rights Group International (MRG)
Posted on: February 29, 2016
Deadline for applications: 9am – 17th March 2016 (interviews to take place on 21stand 22nd March 2016)
Minority Rights Group International is looking for an Arabic-speaking intern to work on its Cultural Programmes Department. This is a unique opportunity to gain insight into cultural programmes mainly in the Middle East and North Africa region on the project “Drama, Diversity and Development”.
You will work on areas such as network opportunities research, creation of databases, and supporting the team on administrative tasks. You may also be required to help plan trips or events and liaise with grantees (from London office). You should be completely fluent in both Arabic and English. The post holder will learn about arts grant giving in a human rights context – this post will suit those working in participatory human rights methodologies and in project management.
You should also have interest in issues affecting minority rights, some vocabulary in expressing cultural activities, and good administrative skills. We also welcome ERASMUS candidates.
Tasks would include:
- Administrative support to the project team: this includes but it is not limited to organise meetings, plan trips, filing documents, process financial documents and draft narrative reports or fundraising applications.
- Translation of relevant documents from Arabic into English and vice versa.
- Keeping a database.
- Research on issues related to the programme.
Essential skills / qualifications:
- Fluent in English and Arabic (mainly reading and writing skills).
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Administrative work experience.
- Ability to work to deadlines.
- Understanding of human rights.
- Organisational skills.
- Ability to work on own initiative (some of the team members are based overseas).
- Teamwork skills.
- Some experience in project management.
Desirable skills / qualifications:
- Fluent in French.
- A relevant translation degree or previous experience in this sector.
- Understanding of minority rights and minority communities in the Middle East and North Africa region.
- Understanding of using cultural activities such as street theatre.
The intern would work at MRG’s offices (London – UK) minimum 2/3 days a week, for a minimum period of 3 months.
How to apply
If you would like to apply, please send your CV and a brief cover letter explaining how your experience matches the skills outlined in this advert, and indicatingwhen you are available to start, how many days a week you could work, and any other information that you think is relevant to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please write the title of this post and your name on the subject of your e-mail.
You will need to have permission to work in the United Kingdom.
MRG covers travel expenses (up to 8GBP) and lunch (up to 6GBP) for the days you work from the office.
Start date: ASAP
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)